1.THE OLD MONASTERY OF AGIOS DIONISIOS
The monastery of Agios Dionisios is situated at a height of 900 m some 18 km from Litochoro. It is built in a natural hollow between two small streams which run into the Enipeas. Today the monastery can be reached by a diversion from the forest road which leads to Prionia, and where one of the ascents to the highest peaks of Olympus begins.
According to historical sources the monastery was founded in the first half of the 16th century and dedicated to Agios Dionisios and the Holy Trinity. During the 400 years of its life it provided religious and economic support for this part of Olympus. It included part of the forest, Prionia, a water mill, a flour mill and a farm. From the beginning of this century it functioned with only 6 monks. It was the favourite place of pilgrimage for the inhabitants of Central Macedonia and mountain climbers.
In 1943 it was twice destroyed, once by a bomb and then blown up by the German occupying forces. Since then the community has lived in the monastery at Metohi at Skala, near to Litochoro. There is a unique atmosphere to be found at this spot where Agios Dionisios has been worshipped and miracles have occurred and this privilege can be enjoyed by both Greek and foreign visitors.
2.THE NEW MONASTERY OF AGIOS DIONISIOS
After the destruction of the old Monastery of Agios Dionisios in 1943 a new Monastery was built at Metohi near Litochoro on the site called Skala, where a miracle was witnessed in 1753. It was built by young monks who founded a new brotherhood in 1987. The order follows a natural way of life with young, dedicated monks.
3.THE MONASTERY OF KANALON
The monastery of Kanalon is on the North East side of Olympus at a height of 820 m, on the North bank of the Ziliana stream. It is dedicated to the birth of the Mother of God. It was plundered by Albanian thieves in 1843. According to a Byzantine document, it dates from about 1676.
4.THE MONASTERY OF THE PRESENTATION OF THE VIRGIN MARY- PETRA
The Monastery of the Presentation of the Virgin Mary is to be found within the grounds of the sanatorium at Petra. It dates from the 11th Century. Its thousand years of history are of considerable historic and religious interest.
5.THE CHURCH OF THE SLUMBER OF THE VIRGIN MARY- KONTARIOTISSA
The Church has a dome and two chapels on the West aisle. It is in the village of Kontariotissa. Its rare architectural style dates it from the beginning of the 11th century. Situated at the top of a hill outside the village, it is an unusually interesting Church in a fine setting.
6.THE MONASTERY OF AGIOS GEORGIOS-RITINI
The Monastery of Agios Georgios is near the village of Ritini. It is a post Byzantine monument with outstanding wall paintings from the 14th and 16th centuries. It is one of the oldest buildings of its type in Pieria and is typical of the Post Byzantine Iconography of the villages of Macedonia.
The Monastery was under the control of the Bishop of Petra, and according to witnesses and folk history which has been handed down over the ages by the inhabitants of the area, who knew it at the height of its fame, it was the hiding place of the soldiers during the Macedonian Struggle.
7.THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY-VRONDOU
A 14th century Church built on a rock at a height of 420 m. It is situated at the outlet of one of the large streams of Olympus, (Stream Papa) near to the village of Vrondou. There are two wall paintings in the Church, the later of which dates from the 17th century.
8.THE CHURCH OF AGIOS NIKOLAOS-PALEA VRONDOU
The first Church built on this site was constructed of wood. This was in 1700. It was restored as a stone structure in 1879. It is a three aisled church, built in the Byzantine style with a tiled floor. It includes a wooden screen, hand carved. The icons date from 1931. There is a stone font in the church and two stone candelabra with the days of the month carved thereon dating from 1760, and decorated with the star of Vergina.
9.THE CHURCH OF AGIA PARASKEVI-ANO MILIA
A 17th Century church in the village of Ano Milia, in the style of a Basilica. Built of stone, in addition to a magnificent bell tower it has fine acoustics and a beautifully decorated interior.
10.THE CHURCH OF AGIOS ATHANASIOS-ANO SKOTINA
A fine 17th century church with a superbly painted interior. A range of stories from the Old and New Testament illuminate its walls, and the Narthex is crowned by a representation of the Second Coming. Also of interest if the wood carved screen